Tuesday 14 June 2011

Perspective

Tonight, I tried three times to write something original. Each time was wrong.
What I found was either too optimistic - leaving no respect for the true problems that exist, or it was hopeless, denying the truth that defines me.

I did find words, however, that both speak my thoughts, and comfort me.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was in Tegel Prison, in Nazi Germany for speaking words of truth in the face of a power of lies.

It was Christmas 1943, and if you think, you can just barely imagine how lonely that would be.  The prison's pastor knew who Bonhoeffer was, and so asked him to help write an encouraging hand-out that would be given to the inmates. On this sheet, Bonhoeffer wrote several things, including these beautiful words:

O God,
Early in the morning I cry unto you.
Help me to pray,
And to think only of you.
I cannot pray alone.
In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light.
I am lonely, but you don't leave me.
I am feeble in heart, but you don't leave me.
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
Your ways are past understanding, but
You know the way for me.


These are the words I was trying to write tonight, but I couldn't find them on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment